Implement traffic management plan (Including Refresher)
Who Should Attend
Clients who have the responsibility to read, interpret, erect, alter or remove roadworks signage or devices on work sites.
This aim is to provide clients with the knowledge and skills required to read, interpret, and implement traffic guidance schemes in accordance with procedures set out in the Queensland Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) Part 3: Traffic control for works on roads, the Austroads Guide to Temporary Traffic Management, and the Queensland Guide to Temporary Traffic Management.
On completion of this course, client should have the knowledge and skills to;
- Have a basic understanding of the Queensland Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) Part 3: Traffic Control for Works on Roads, the Austroads Guide to Temporary Traffic Management, and the Queensland Guide to Temporary Traffic Management
- Determine site hazards, assess the risks, and decide on suitable controls for working on or near roadways.
- Accurately read and interpret traffic guidance schemes and specifications;
- Identify and include site specific requirements;
- Demonstrate that they can establish criteria to monitor the effectiveness of the work site signage and traffic flow;
- Correctly select the traffic guidance scheme that suits the site conditions;
- Conduct a pre-operational check of all equipment;
- Place the traffic guidance scheme signs and devices in position according to legislation and in an appropriate manner;
- Monitor the flow and effectiveness of the traffic guidance scheme;
- Ensure traffic guidance scheme signs and devices are removed correctly;
- Record a detailed traffic guidance scheme that demonstrated accurate application of the work instructions.
There are no pre-requisites for this course.
Mandatory / Client Requirements
Clients are to attend classroom training with closed in footwear and neatly attired. All clients are to engage in all assessment activities to satisfactorily complete the course.
Clients will be required to successfully complete an LLN assessment to confirm numeracy, reading writing and language skills at least to ACSF Level 3, prior to enrolment.
It is a requirement that clients wishing to attend this training be able to:
- provide a copy of the General Construction Induction Card (white / blue card or equivalent) or have the ability to acquire this prior to conducting any site based work activities
- enter and exit work location safely and unaided
- have adequate mobility, eyesight and hearing to be able to observe their surrounding work area in all directions during activities.
The course will be delivered via a face-to-face format in either ASTA training rooms or at your workplace, depending on numbers and client or workplace requirements.
Clients will receive a Traffic Management Implementer – Learners Assessment Book and other materials for completion during the training. Copies and / or access to the;
- Queensland Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) Part 3: Traffic Control for Works on Roads,
- Code of Practice Traffic Management for Construction or Maintenance Work,
- Austroads Guide to Temporary Traffic Management, and the Queensland Guide to Temporary Traffic Management,
and other general documentation for information will be provided for use in class.
When classroom training is finalised, clients will receive a “Traffic Management Implementer - Supervisor Report for completion and return to ASTA within 3 months of the training date. Additional evidence of the completion of Transport and Main Roads training program “Working in Proximity to Traffic Awareness (WPTA) Part 1 & 2” is required to be submitted with the completed “Traffic Management Implementer - Supervisor Report.
Clients will undertake a written assessment, and classroom scenario based activities. The assessment consists of multiple choice, true and false and short answer questions. This written assessment will also incorporate completion of various Traffic Guidance Scheme documents. Clients are to successfully complete all classroom activities.
On successful completion of all classroom assessment activities, clients will receive a “Traffic Management Implementer (RIIRIS301E: Apply Risk Management Processes RIIWHS302E: Implement Traffic Management Plans) Supervisor Report”. The “Supervisor Report” includes a full explanation of the requirements for both the client and the employer/supervisor.
The “Traffic Management Implementer - Supervisor Report” is to be completed on live work sites under the direction and supervision of an appropriately qualified and experienced person and returned to ASTA within three (3) months from their training date. The site component requires clients to demonstrate competence by implementing three traffic guidance schemes on live roadwork job sites.
On completion and return of the “Supervisor Report”, the provided documentation is to be assessed by the Trainer & Assessor to determine satisfactory completion of the training course.
Clients who demonstrate competency by successfully completing the written assessment are entitled to receive a Certificate of Attendance for Traffic Management Implementer (RIIRIS301E: Apply Risk Management Processes RIIWHS302E: Implement Traffic Management Plans).
On completion, return and satisfactory assessment of the “Supervisor Report”, the client is entitled to receive a Statement of Attainment for Traffic Management Implementer (RIIRIS301E: Apply Risk Management Processes RIIWHS302E: Implement Traffic Management Plans) and a Digi-card indicating competency in the Units of Competency RIIRIS301E: Apply risk management processes and & RIIWHS302E: Implementation Traffic Management Plans.
This Traffic Management competency is renewable every 3 years.
You may refer to the ASTA website (www.austsafe.net.au) for a training calendar or contact our office on (07) 4153 2800.
Duration: - 1 day (classroom) +
- practical completion of the Third Party Report (maximum 3 months) and
- completion of Working in Proximity to Traffic (WPT) Part 1 & 2 (maximum 3 months)
minimum and maximum numbers apply
$350 per person